Sunday, April 12, 2015

Dealing with Struggles

Lately life has been quite a struggle for my family and me.  Lots of major family issues happening, combined with the stresses of work and finances, could spell disaster.  When I was much younger, I would have reacted with depression, anxiety, and poor ways of dealing with stress.  My biggest stress go-to was always food.  I am an emotional eater.  I eat when I'm happy, sad, angry, bored, lonley, and pretty much any emotion you can think of.  I have had to learn a better way to handle stress, but it is something I will always struggle with.  Like an alcoholic, drug addict, or a smoker, food is my addiction.  However, unlike other addictions, we can't stop eating.  It is hard, but one can cease drinking alcohol, smoking, or using drugs. One can't just stop eating and still live.  I have had to learn to workout, pray, read, and engage in other productive activities, rather than turn to food.  If all else fails, we have healthy choices food in our house rather than unhealthy.  Therefore, if I do slip and turn to food the damage isn't as bad.  

We all have struggles, hard times, challenges we must overcome in life, some are more difficult than others.  One thing we all have in common is the need for encouragement and support in the goid times and in the bad.  I try my best to be there in person, in text, by phone, through email, and in social media to offer encouragement, prayer, and hugs.  This is one of my favorite ways to be productive, helping others. 

What do you sturggle with?  How do you overcome it? How do you help others in their struggles?

No comments:

Post a Comment